Tuesday 18 August 2009

The "Nair" factor !

This post owes its conceptualization to Mr.Shashi Tharoor and his recent tweets about Delhi Nair Service Society(NSS). The particular comments about remarkable work done by Delhi chapter of NSS and their non-communal nature got me thinking..

I was brought up in a world of social fabric that resonated the term "Nair" from each and every nook and corner. My parents have always been proud members and responsible administrators of the local chapter of NSS. A major chunk of my mother's friends are her counterparts there. So, inevitably, I have been a passive witness and faithful audience to their activities all my life.

The ability of this group to remain financially independent and socially active throughout these years has impressed me. The credit goes to their sense of pride in being a Nair. For example, a remarkable annual event held by these folks is the distribution of school uniforms and books to the economically backward students of a local NSS school. But on the other hand, what has always disappointed me is their false sense of restriction in utilizing this power to the maximum, that also seemed to have prevailed over the years. Consequently, this chapter has turned out to be yet another forum for like-minded people who are united by their strong sense of 'caste-hood' to socialize, more or less.

Given the impressive count of supporters and activists, they can go a long way in improving current state of affairs so as to have a better way of life. This could be a perfect platform to inculcate the change at grass root level. There are numerous things to consider in this respect. For one, the boundary of caste and religion should be confined to being a mode of unification for the members. They should be able to view a problem, be it educational, social, economic, moral or political, in its entirety; rather than have their vision clouded. Easier said than done; this is where the comment on non-communal nature of Delhi NSS chapter held my attention. It is essential to have frequent and effective communication between the numerous branches of NSS that span across India, for two reasons. One, as I mentioned, it helps people view things from a broad perspective. Secondly, it facilitates execution with minimal effort, given that the same path has been tread before.

Another matter of concern is the noticeable absence of young minds in this initiative. While in my early teens, I was asked to take up the responsibility of children's wing for the local NSS chapter- I still remember delivering a speech(rather, an ex-tempore) about how I will strive to keep up the heritage and develop a strong social sense in my fellow friends :-) All the while, I just had one thought nagging me- why am I here and not in the youth wing, instead? Later, I realised there was no youth wing in place to accomodate me, since I was the only willing soul. So, what keeps the youth away from such a venture ? Difference in fundamental beliefs of the organization or lack of need to be a part of the same ? Primarily, it could be a lack of vision. If this system has to be sustained for years to come, it is crucial to develop a sense of direction and a long-term vision that youth of today can identify with and work towards.

Ending note: A recent rally held by NSS in Trivandrum achieved its target- display of their sheer strength in terms of manpower. Questions remain, though: for the same amount of planning and resources that went into it, couldn't there have been a more constructive outcome that made a better impact ? Couldn't there have been an outcome that projected this enormous association for its ideals and capability to bring about a positive change in the society? Earlier we find detailed answers to these questions, earlier the realization that this organization is being hugely wasted and earlier we decide to do something about it before all of it withers away for good, the better.

3 comments:

Satish K Mantha said...

"since I was the only willing soul." after all, all it takes is just one willing soul to accomplish the task. i wonder if you went ahead and laid a proposal to create a youth-wing, starting with just the TVM chapter, in front of the panel in one of the NSS meetings, wouldn't they have accepted (or, if you already did that, didn't they accept) it gleefully?

nevertheless, time's not a factor if you have the heart, which i'm convinced you do. :-) good luck.

imagesnbeyond said...

I agree with you when you say NSS has done a wonderful job in the past and has the potential to bring forth a much needed change in the society . But I cant help wondering why NSS as a group of educated and influential people cannot live up to the standards already set in the past .

I feel, maybe I m completely wrong, nairs are now a contended passive group not able to find enough motivation to get things moving. And, yes u r true abt the youth . As a kid my association with NSS was limited to gita classes, which was a really good experience . I m not sure if something of similar nature is in place anymore.

Also I could sense a lot of prejudice and egoism creeping into the system .I see that as a reason why, unfortunately, I couldn’t get much of a support from their end when I needed it the most , even though it was for my mom and dad , who were active members of NSS throughout. (it could be a problem with the local chapter !!!)
Yes, NSS is getting more buoyant recently. Definitely there is much more than just a silver lining. Hopefully everything falls in place … peace !!

Rena Ravi said...

Good....keep writing